Thursday, September 25, 2008

I DON'T KNOW WHAT LEAD ME TO DO IT

...or do I?

It just happened by chance. The other night, on a whim I decided to paint my version of a Byzantine Madonna. I painted it in one of my brown paper notebooks, probably no more than 5 by 7 in all. But it resulted perfectly. I was lucky to have some metallic paints among my acylics which is what made the cape so beautiful. And today, I decided to paint my second Madonna, this time with Child. I have always loved the Cuzco school of art and actually own a couple of their madonnas. I had always wanted to paint my version of one. Finally I have. I have also been a follower of Naive Art and Folk Art, have over 10 books on these forms of art and have dabbled in assemblage and collecting modern versions of folk art aka Handmade. When I can actually produce a solid piece, it is so rewarding. I have still not found my voice per se, but I think I am on my way. I began by painting an abstract thinking it would be the easiest, but I like to see people in paintings so switched to something I am a little closer to.

Something tells me, I am being summoned.

1 comment:

Susan Tuttle said...

Hi Connie!
How are you my friend? Wow! -- this piece is absolutely stunning!!!

It was such a wonderful treat to get your blog comments -- we sure did have a special time in California! I look forward to when our paths will cross again!

Susan
xoxo